Brace yourself for a spike in careless drivers!
This weekend the clocks go back and we can look forward to an extra hour in bed.
This is good news for our general health, as studies have shown that this additional hour of sleep dramatically reduces the number of people suffering from heart attacks the next day.
But it’s not so great news for us motorists, who have to run a gauntlet of heightened levels of careless driving for the next fortnight.
Research from The Independent has shown that, in the two weeks after the clocks to back on average there has been an increase of 278 personal injury collisions, compared to the previous two weeks.
The National Safety Council has found that the risk of a fatal crash is three times higher at night than in the daylight.
So it is worth paying extra attention when you’re driving over the next couple of weeks - not only to your driving but to the increased likelihood that other drivers are going to be less attentive.
This is especially important on your regular commute which perhaps doesn’t take quite as much concentration as driving an unfamiliar route.
Here are our top driving tips for you to ensure you are safe during this time.
- Ensure you are well-rested and alert before you get on the road.
- Have regular eyesight checks
- If you wear glasses, choose an anti-reflective lens
- Limit your driving
- Decreased visibility would mean that you have less time to react to something ahead, so increase the distance with you and the car in front
- Be aware of cyclists and be patient with other road users
For your vehicle:
- Ensure all your windows are de-misted before you set off
- Regularly check that all lights on the vehicle are working i.e.: headlights, taillights, brake lights and signal lights
- Keep fluid levels are topped up
- Dim the lights on your dash if you can
- Carry a basic emergency kit at all times
At Thame Cars we offer a complementary Winter Health check to ensure that your car is safe and winter ready. Additionally for the month of November only we are offering free refiles of Anti Freeze.
Book online today or call us on 01844 399364 and we would be happy to help you.